Odisha’s tomato khatta meetha, prepared in almost every Odia households, is a quick and easy-to-make dish that will be slurped up in seconds!
This preparation can be stored for a at least a week in the refrigerator. Neither onion or garlic is used for the preparation of this recipe, and can be made on any festival.
The cooking time required for tomato khatta meetha is 20 minutes and the measurements given below is sufficient to serve three to four people.
Ingredients of Tomato Khatta Meetha :
- Large tomatoes- 5
- Cashews- 4-5
- Raisins- 6-7
- Grated ginger- 1 inch
- Chopped green chili- 1
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Panch phoran (Five spice)- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric- 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar- 5 to 6 tablespoons
- Oil- 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Wash the tomatoes, chop them into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cashews and raisins till they turn golden. Remove the dry fruits from oil and keep them aside.
- Add panch phoran to the same oil.
- By the time it crackles, add chopped green chili, grated ginger and curry leaves to the pan.
- Fry the ingredients for a minute on medoum heat.
- Add chopped pieces of tomatoes after frying.
- Season the contents with salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix all the contents. Cover the pan with a lid and cook it till the tomatoes soften.
- Remove the lid, add sugar and fried dry fruits to the pan.
- Mix the contents well and cook for another five minutes.
- Switch off the flame, and garnish the dish with fresh coriander leaves.
Special tips can be used for the dish, like:
- For tempering, instead of panch phoran, cumin seeds can also be used.
- Dry fruits can be replaced by dates. For using dates in the dish, it is preferred to use them after soaking for 10 minutes. They can either be used as whole or chopped, after removing the seeds.