September 12, 2021: When opportunities knock at your door, you make sure that you’re prepared to get set and go and just hit it out of the park. But what if something out of your control, takes you down and you have to unwillingly let go on a life-altering chance? This happened when Ruturaj Gaikwad was in the highest of spirits to participate in the biggest cricketing league in the world. Just before the tourney, he got contracted by the dreadful COVID-19 and had to sit out.
Ruturaj Gaikwad & his entry into Indian cricket team:
Ruturaj Gaikwad, a local boy from Pune was first bought by the Chennai Super Kings franchise in the 2019 IPL auction for Rs 20 lakh. Even till the end of the 2019 IPL season, where Chennai Super Kings finished runners up, Gaikwad couldn’t make much of an impression with his game on field.
Hits and misses
However, this failure did not have the strength to hurl down his feathers from soaring. As on June 2019, Gaikwad scored an unbeaten 187 playing for India A against Sri Lanka in an unofficial ODI opening alongside Shubman Gill in Belgaum which is said to be one of the highest List A scores by an Indian batsman.
Lesser known facts about Ruturaj Gaikwad
Here are some lesser known facts about the Pune boy.
1. Gaikwad was born on January 31, 1997 in Pune in the state of Maharashtra.
2.He made his international debut for the India cricket team in July 2021
3. Gaikwad made his first-class debut in the year 2016 at the age of 19 by representing Maharashtra. In his debut against Jharkhand at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi, he managed just 15 runs batting in just one innings as he injured himself while fielding.
4. The opening batsmen earned his first IPL contract in the year 2019 as he was picked up Chennai Super Kings for Rs 20 lakh.
5. In 2018, Gaikwad was named in India’s team for the 2018 ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup.
6. In the 19 first-class matches Gaikwad has represented Maharashtra, he has notched up 1193 runs at an average of 37.3 with includes three hundred and six fifties.
7. In June 2019, Gaikwad scored an unbeaten 187 playing for India A against Sri Lanka in an Unofficial ODI opening alongside Shubman Gill in Belgaum.