Sept 29: Tired of the same chicken or meat burgers? Well, don’t worry, we have a juicy, succulent and tender burger recipe for you. Prawn burger will win the hearts of the entire family. Sea foods are usually the tastiest amongst all. You all must have tried prawn curry, prawn biryani, prawn fries etc but prawn burger? Yes, it’s equally or even more scrumptious than regular burgers.
Cooking time for prawn burger
It takes 50 minutes to cook the tasty prawn burger.
Ingredients required for prawn burger
- 250g raw shelled prawns
- 1 bird’s eye chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. cornflour
- ½ egg white
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup groundnut oil, for frying
For the slaw ;
- ½ small head of spring cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, chopped into fine matchsticks or julienned
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp mayonnaise
To serve ;
- 2 burger buns
- sweet chili sauce
- Half of the prawns are whizzed in a blender or food processor and the other half are chopped very roughly so the burgers have varied texture. If you’re using a mix of fresh and frozen prawns, I’d suggest blending the frozen and chopping the fresh ones by hand.
- Place the thawed/half of the prawns in a blender or food processor with most of the spring onions, ginger, garlic and chili. Whiz to coarse paste. Scrape out of the blender into a large bowl, add the chopped prawns, parsley, egg white and the corn flour and mix together well.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. With wet hands scoop half the mixture and form a patty. Drop it into breadcrumbs and turn over to coat. Repeat with the rest of the mix and place both patties on a tray lined with a paper towel. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the slaw, place the shredded cabbage and carrot in a bowl filled with iced water. Leave until the ice melts or for about 30 minutes. Drain and shake off the moisture.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl; you might want to add more mayo or cream, to taste. Toss the salad with the dressing, stir in the remaining spring onions.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until 180C/350F. Drop the patties into the hot oil carefully and fry for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crisp. Lower the heat a little if the oil splatters too much. Remove the burgers from the pan and drain on paper towels while you toast the buns.
- Place a generous amount of slaw on the lower half of the bun, top with a burger; drizzle with sweet chili sauce (optional) and cover with the top of the bun. Serve the extra slaw in a bowl.