Sept 23: Leche Flan is a beloved dessert of the Philippines. It tastes like caramel custard and crème caramel.
This delectable Filipino dessert is well-known all around the world. Thanks to its flavour, ease of preparation, and extended shelf life, it has become a staple on most restaurant menus. It can also be used as a component in the construction of other delectable desserts.
In the Philippines, it will not be complete without leche flan on the dining table, especially during events such as parties and local fiestas.
Leche flan is traditionally prepared by steaming it in a steamer. It’s also popular nowadays to bake it in the oven using a bain-marie or a water bath. The rice cooker can be used as a steamer as well.
Preparation time for Leche Flan
It takes 10 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook.
Ingredients required for Leche Flan
- 10 pieces eggs
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk or evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used).
- Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater.
- Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
- Pour-in the fresh milk and Vanilla. Mix well.
- Put the mold on top of the stove and heat using low fire.
- Put the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color.
- Spread the caramel evenly on the flat side of the mold.
- Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold.
- Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil.
- Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
- After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate.
- Serve for ultra-luxurious dessert.