September 22, 2021: Katla Macher Peti Bhape is a Bengali fish steak made with the tastiest of spices and steamed in a pot until it’s ready to be paired with delicious steamed rice. This amazing recipe adds icing to the cake to not just one festival, but enhances the enthusiasm and elevates the level of happiness and celebrations at other events and special occasions too.
Katla Macher Peti Bhape: A steamed fish steak with an overload of spices
One of the most famous fish that goes in hype on special occasions in a Bengali household is catla and it is no surprise that a big heavy one at that is a celebratory meal kind.
The Katla Macher Peti Bhape is made from the belly piece of the fish with few bones and enough fat and meat to make you get all the juice from the marinade. A catla fish over 3 kilos is preferable for the recipe.
With yoghurt, mustard, poppy and all traditional Bengali spices, the steamed fish steak is a tasty lunch recipe that will not let you or your celebratory guests down.
Ingredients to make Katla Macher Peti Bhape
- Katla macher peti (the belly part of the fish)
- Posto bata (Poppy seed paste): 3 tbsp
- Mustard paste: 2 tbsp
- Thick yogurt
- Mustard oil: 6 tbsp
- Green chillis: 7/8
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric: 1 tbsp
- Onion for beresta: Fry 3 onions
- Red chilli powder: 1 tbsp
- Lemon wedge
- Start by marinating the fish peti with a sprinkle of salt and turmeric. Rub a lemon wedge over the fish. Shallow fry in piping hot mustard oil.
- To start with the preparation for the steaming, mix the hung curd with lemon juice, turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Prepare the steaming base. This is the most crucial part of the fish curry. You need a Kadai. Apply mustard oil. Add in hung curd, well stirred. Mix in poppy seed paste and mustard paste. Break the green chillis and mix in.
- Add in salt to taste. Douse the top of the mix with enough mustard oil. Put the lid back on the Kadai.
- To steam, a double boiler could be used or another pot full of water can be used. Ensure the base of the Kadai must touch the water at all points of time.
- Steam it for at least an hour. Before you open the lid, give it a standing time of 30 minutes at least.
- Serve the Katla Macher Peti Bhape with steamed rice and a wedge of lemon.