New Delhi, July 21, 2021: It’s time to say goodbye to Google Bookmarks as the search giant is shutting down the service that has been there for almost 16 years from September 30.
“After September 30th 2021, Google Bookmarks will no longer be supported,” said a banner running on the Google Bookmarks page.
The company is allowing users to export their bookmarks till then. Users can go to google.com/bookmarks and click on Export Bookmarks to get a copy of their data.
What is Google Bookmarks
Google Bookmarks is a service that has been around for a long time, since it was first launched in 2005. All major web browsers include bookmarking, and with the advent of cloud syncing, your bookmarks can remain the same across devices.
This Bookmarks, though, is completely separate from browser bookmarking, even from Google Chrome bookmarking.
It’s a service that allows users to bookmark links or notes and access them from any device or computer.
How will closure of Google Bookmarks affect us
The closure of Bookmarks is likely to affect Starred locations featured in G Maps that are held within GBookmarks.
The two are reported to be in sync. Will shutting down G Bookmarks also mean that users’ Starred locations will be deleted too? There’s so far no clarity on this.
One way out for users, as per 9to5Google, is to switch the list that Maps saves these locations to as only the Starred list syncs to Bookmarks.
How to save a place on Google Maps using a PC
Google Maps allows users to add their favorite places to a list to easily look them up later. Here’s how to go about it:
- Open Google Maps.
- Click or search for a business, place, or a set of latitude and longitude coordinates.
- Save and then choose your list.
- Only the user can find his saved places, unless he himself shares the list of places. Google may anonymously share users’ combined saved places information.
How to save a place from another website
- If a website has a map embedded from Google Maps, you can save that place to your Google Maps
- Open the website with a map embedded from Google Maps
- To pull up a place’s information, click a place on the map. Now click Save and then choose a list.
- Your star and the website name will show up on your desktop and mobile Google Maps.