Sept 28: For a Bengali, steam rice and Gondhoraj chicken for lunch is sheer heaven. This dish is also known as ‘Lebu Lonka Murgi’ in Bengali. Bengal is home to the Gondhoraj lebu. The lemon’s heavenly aroma is simply out of this world and makes the dish even more appetizing.
Cooking time for Gondhoraj chicken
It takes one hour to prepare Gondhoraj chicken and 45 minutes to cook the dish.
Ingredients required for Gondhoraj Chicken
- Chicken on the bone – 1 kg
- Onion Juice – 2 tbsp
- Ginger Juice – 2 tbsp
- Garlic Juice – 2 tbsp
- Green Chilli Paste – 1 tbsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Regular lemon – 1
- Gondhoraj Lebu – 1
- Gondhoraj Lebu Leaves or Kaffir lime leaves – 7/8
- Cardamom Pods – 5/6
- Refined Oil – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli – 3/4 slitted
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar as per taste
- Ghee or clarified butter – 4 tbsp
- Wash and pat dry the chicken pieces. Take ½ cup of the curd and beat it uniformly. Add it to the chicken. Chicken needs to be marinated for at least half an hour.
- Make a paste of 1 big onion, 7/8 garlic pods, 4 inch garlic and 5/6 green chillies in the grinder. Adjust chillies according to tolerance level. Add water to the paste.
- With the help of a strainer, strain the entire juice from the paste using a spoon to squeeze out the juice. Add a bit of water if required to strain easily. Add this strained juice to the chicken.
- Add the juice of the regular lemon and Gondhoraj lebu to the chicken. Carefully scrape out some zest of the Gondhoraj lebu and add that too to the chicken.
- Add the coriander powder, salt and refiled oil to the chicken. Mix everything together. Marinate the chicken for 30 mins at least.
- Heat ghee in a wok. When the ghee is fragrant, temper it with cardamom pods.
- When the cardamom pods crackle, shake off the extra marinade and add the chicken pieces one by one to the ghee.
- Add the chillies and the Gondhoraj lebu leaves.
- Add half cup of water to the marinade and add it to the wok. Adjust the salt and sugar now. Add the remaining ½ cup of beaten curd. Add a little Gondhoraj zest. Fold everything in.
- Cook the chicken on medium flame for an hour or till the chicken is cooked. Keep stirring. Your Gondhoraj Chicken is ready. Relish it with steam rice.