Goa is renowned for its exotic culture and seafood dishes and if you love to eat prawns, the Goan Prawn curry is something you never miss. And during summers, Goan Prawn Curry with Raw Mango is to be tried for sure.
Goan Prawn Curry with Raw Mango
Sweet, creamy and juicy mangoes are the best And prawns obviously taste so amazing. The combination is just mind-blowing!
When mangos are in season the Goan Prawn Curry with raw Mango is sounds good! It is a very delightful recipe. The curry is a mildly spiced and tangy prawn curry.
The mango provides the acidity to the curry, while the prawns make the curry flavoursome and creamy. Serve it with plain rice.
Prep time 20 mins
Cooking time 20 minutes
Goan Prawn Curry with Raw Mango: Recipe
- 500gms medium prawns cleaned
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 slit green chillis
- 1 large size raw mango peeled and sliced (or 2 small mangoes)
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- Small bowl of tamarind soaked in warn water
- 5-6 kokum petals
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
Masala to grind:
- 1 freshly grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 7-8 Kashmiri chillis
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 ¼ tablespoon coriander seeds
- 15 peppercorns
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- Wash, clean and devein the prawns. Apply salt and set aside.
- Grind the curry masala to a very fine paste with some water.
- Apply salt to the sliced raw mangoes and set aside.
- In a pan/pot add coconut oil and sauté the onions till they turn translucent.
- To this, add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn soft and mushy.
- Now add the cut raw mangoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Now add the ground masala to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1¼ cup of water to the mixer and remove all the masala that is remaining in the mixer and add this masala water to the pot.
- Once the curry comes to a slight boil add tamarind water (5 tablespoons) and kokum.
- As the curry comes to a roaring boil you can now add the cleaned prawns.
- At the last, add the slit green chillis and pinch of sugar.
- Adjust the consistency of the curry as you desired.
- Check salt to taste.
- Prawns don’t take long to cook once it’s in the curry; it takes max 4-5 minutes.
- Your Goan Style Prawn with Raw Mango curry is ready to be served with rice. Enjoy!