July 29, 2021: It’s raining incessantly and our tired bodies on a cold breezy day calls in for something warm, a little spicy and definitely tasty. Here’s the cue for Chicken Manchow Soup then because soup is all parts healthy, warm and definitely filling for a lazy rainy day.
Chicken Manchow Soup for a rainy day
Chicken Manchow Soup is an Indian Chinese dish that has the familiarity of Indian taste with the base of Chinese warm sauces. Manchow soup is traditionally loaded with crunchy veggies and is well very easy to prepare.
The variety of vegetables added to manchow soup make it fibrous and full of vitamins and minerals. The heart and soul of the soup, ginger and garlic act as natural immunity boosters especially on a cold day.
Chicken Manchow Soup is also filled with the goodness of meat protein and chicken does blend well with every dish.
Manchow soup is prepared by using less oil hence is beneficial for health where the food value remains intact. It is easy to make and very filling when served for dinners.
Though Manchow soup is named after “Manchuria”, Northeast Asia’s one of the large geographic areas but the soup is not similar to any of the cuisines found in that region.
The taste of the Manchow soup recipe depends on the ingredients used and hence it may change tremendously on the basis of using either vegetables or chicken.
Recipe: Chicken Manchow Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1-2 chopped green chilli
- ½ cup white part of spring onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 chicken breast diced into small pieces
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans finely chopped
- ½ cup cabbage chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Crunchy fried noodles for topping
- ½ cup green part of spring onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
Also Read: Ditch your regular chicken and rice and enjoy this simple and scrumptious Chicken Rice Soup
- In a large pot heat oil and add ginger, garlic, the white part of spring onions and onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes and add the chicken breast.
- The chicken breast will cook till it has a brown layer covering. You can remove the chicken and shred it further if you want smaller chunks.
- On high heat and add carrots, green beans, mushrooms and cabbage along with salt and 3 cups water. Bring this to a quick boil and then reduce the flame to a simmer.
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, cornflour and 1/2 cup water till no lumps are visible. Add this to the pot and keep stirring till the soup thickens up.
- Add shredded chicken and green chillies, simmer for 2 minutes. Mix in the green part of spring onions and chopped coriander. Turn off the flame.
- While serving, top individual servings with fried noodles and serve hot. The soup also sits well with fried rice and crispy potato wafers and finger chips.