September 17, 2021: For any Bengali street food lover, Chicken Fowl Cutlet is a known phenomenon. And even though the meat cutlet is a common recipe for many states, the Kolkata-style Chicken Fowl Cutlet takes it home with its rich spiciness and OTT taste, along with the best side serve salad ever!
In Indian cuisine, a meat cutlet specifically refers to cooked meat (mutton, beef, fish or chicken) stuffing that is fried with a batter/covering.
The meat itself is cooked with spices like onion, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, green chillis, lemon and salt.
Street style Kolkata Chicken Fowl Cutlet
Chicken Fowl Cutlet is Kolkata’s famous minced chicken cutlet which is famous street food in the city.
Especially during the festive season like Pujo, the cutlet is a super hit.
This special cutlet is best served with a bit of salad (cucumber, onion, carrot, cut lengthwise, seasoned with a pinch of salt and lemon juice, served with green chilli), kasundi (a Bengali mustard sauce) and tomato ketchup.
This deep-fried cutlet is a very good starter in any party. You can store it in the freezer for days before frying.
The fowl cutlet is an easy party serve, that is going to be a must-have at the parties at your place from now on!
Recipe to make Chicken Fowl Cutlet
- 200 gm minced chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp Bengali roasted masala (cumin, fennel seeds and red chilli)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 2-3 chopped green chillis
- 2 tsp fresh chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs for frying
- Oil for frying
- Take 200gm minced chicken. Add 1 tsp salt,1 tsp garam masala,1 tbsp Bengali roasted masala,1 tsp grated ginger and garlic.
- Now add 1 tsp red chilli powder, chopped green chillis, chopped coriander leaves,1 tsp tomato sauce.
- Mix it well and keep it in the fridge for 1 hr. Cover it with a wrapper.
- Grease your palm with oil and take a small portion of it.
- Make a ball and press it.
- Put it in the bread crumbs and dip it into the egg and put it again in the bread crumbs.
- Now give the cutlet a diamond shape.
- Take a pan and heat the oil. Put the cutlet in the oil and fry until it looks golden brown in colour.
- Remove it from the pan and drain the oil over a tissue. Serve hot with tomato sauce and a side salad.